Farm Tour - Cuddle Baby Goats
Agriculture is the #1 industry of Sussex County. We honor our local farmers and their history and traditions. The Family Farm Tour is the perfect tour to encourage families to step away from their computer games and cell phones and experience "real" nature and "get back to basics". File this experience under Family Friendly Fun at the Beaches!
On this all inclusive, 4 hour tour, you'll meet real farmers and learn about the agriculture of Southern Delaware. All experiences are custom tailored to be age appropriate and there will be plenty of hands on experiences.
We'll pick you and your family (8 or more) up from your local address and drive you to a variety of farms just beyond the beaches along the rural side of Southern Delaware.
- We will visit a local Goat Farm, where participants can cuddle and pet baby goats. You'll also see miniature horses and peacocks. Feeding and milking may also be included if appropriate (but always at the discretion of the farmer).
- We will visit a large working dairy farm for fresh Ice Cream where you may get to see baby calves. Picnic tables and a playground is available.
- We'll also visit a Lavender Farm where you can relax with the peaceful aromas. Adults will receive a soap sample and culinary treat.
- All entrance fees, venue tour fees, snacks, water, single scoop of Ice Cream, and photography are included.
Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy at the Lavender Farm or at the Dairy Farm.
The minimum group size for this tour to hold is 8 people.
Cost is $59 per person (local pickup Rehoboth/Dewey/Lewes) Out of area pickup fee is $10 pp.
Gratuities customary at 15-20% for your driver/guide.
Farm Tour is Offered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 10 a.m.
Note: Not available during the operation of the Delaware State Fair as our farm partners are busy with that event.
Ultimate Farm Experience
This is a large scale experience for those who are interested in farming and large machinery. You'll visit a local high production farm and participate in the spring planting or fall harvest with one of our local farmers. You'll literally climb up into the cab of a huge combine or tractor, sit inside and ride along as the fields are planted or harvested. Smile for the camera as we will be on hand to take pictures with some some farm photo props.
Our local farmer has a wealth of information to share about farming life in Sussex County, Delaware. He is especially passionate about soil health and will teach you about the importance of cover crops; especially to our waterways. You'll also learn what happen to the corn and soybean after harvest.
You will never forget this experience as you will gain a whole new appreciation for fields of grain each time you pass by as well as our awesome farmers who tend to those fields.
- transportation to/from the farm
- swag bags for kids
- farmer hats to keep
- photo props
- sing along activities in the van
- a meet and greet with a local farming family
- a large machinery experience (tractor, combine or equivelent)
- Gratuities for guides and farmers
Your ride can be anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on the number of people on your tour.
You must be physically capable and strong enough to climb up and down a ladder to participate. Wear boots or old sneakers.
All children must be accompanied by an adult in the combine.
Tour is $65 for Adults, $45 for Kids and offered Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 11 a.m. during Spring Planting (April - June) or Harvest Season (late August - late November). Other days excluding Sundays may be available by reservation. Weather permitting.
Note: Porta-potties are available on the farm. Once we head to the fields, you're in nature and there are no porta potties.
Also available: Watersports & YOGA services through our watersports division, Delmarva Board Sports. Check out our Paddleboard Yoga classes and consider adding this experience on the same day or alternate day.